Sunday 28 July 2013

Waiting for the new shiny


As I write this, it's been three and a half days since Google began rolling out the latest update to its mobile operating system - Android 4.3 Jelly Bean to owners of it's Nexus-branded phones.  As a proud Nexus 4 owner, I am in line get this update, but as yet it has not hit my phone.

Android 4.3 is a relatively minor update, with most of the changes under-the-hood rather than featuring any killer user features.  However, one of the major reasons I got a Nexus was that it would receive software updates first amongst all Android devices and I've been excitedly waiting for it, to the point of going to my phone every 3-4 hours and trying to manually kick things off (by going to Settings > About Phone > System Update > Check Now).  Why I am so excited I couldn't tell you - life will be exactly the same after I get the update as it is now (except maybe I won't need to charge my phone as often).  

I'm not alone in this feeling - the Android forums are full of people anxiously hanging out for the update or posting ways to get it via unofficial means for those who can't wait. 

This phenomenon is not restricted to us Android geeks though - witness the huge queues outside stores whenever a new Apple iDevice is due to launch.  I am constantly amazed that people are willing to camp overnight, just to be one of the very first to own the latest device even if they already have the previous version released only 12 months prior.  (Although I do admit I did queue for two hours for an iPad 2 when it came out!)

I'm sure there must be some evolutionary reason for this desire to have the latest and greatest whatever-it-is.  Probably something to do with gaining a survival edge (the first Neanderthal to figure out he could use a piece of wood to club his rivals to death likely gathered himself quite a harem!).  Whatever the reason though, the consumer electronics companies of the past ten years (led by Apple) have honed their abilities to tap into this desire to a fine edge.  

I hate that I've been sucked into this race, but that won't stop me from checking my phone for the update as soon as I finish writing.  What's killing me even more is that it's expected that the next MAJOR revision of Android - Android 5.0 (codename Key Lime Pie) is expected to arrive in just three short months.  And I'll be going through this excruciating waiting game yet again. 

** Update**
I finally gave up on waiting and decided to cheat by 'sideloading' the update using these instructions.  After a couple of false starts I'm now rocking Android 4.3 and can finally just get on with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment